Submitted by WA Contents
Alternative 33: Open Ideas Competition for the Urban Revitalization of the District 33 in Yerevan
Armenia Architecture News - Jul 24, 2020 - 17:24 1124 views
The Committee for the Protection of Yerevan’s Heritage has organized an Idea Competition for The Urban Revitalization Of The District 33 to find alternative approaches to this valuable historic urban area.
District 33, better known to the public as “Firdusi”, is one of the last surviving historical districts of Yerevan, which is located in the city center, next to the Republic Square.
The current project to be implemented in the area has raised public complaint and uproar, as for the past 20 years the weak policies in urban planning have erased the historical and cultural layers in Yerevan, leaving several extracts that are waiting for their turn to be demolished.
This initiative especially aims to aﬀect the ﬁnal decision of the city authorities, since the project submitted has not yet received ﬁnal approval. Therefore, the purpose of the conceptual proposals regarding the revitalization of the urban environment is: to point out economically, socially and environmentally feasible, and sustainable solutions through open and competitive processes at the urban development level, which will be based on the principle of conservation and re-evaluation of the historically-formed urban environment.
There is no application fee for participation.
Submission Deadline is September 10, 2020, and winners will be announced on September 21, 2020.
The organizers, considering the available ﬁnancial resources, have delegated the following awards:
1st place : 1’250’000 AMD (approx. 2’500 EUR)
2nd place: 750’000 AMD (approx. 1’500 EUR)
3rd place: 250’000 AMD (approx. 500 EUR)
The Competition Jury consists of seven professionals from Armenia and abroad:
1. Areg Asatryan, Architect, New York City Building Department Lead Plan Examiner (USA)
2. Dr. George Arbid, Architect, Director of Arab Center for Architecture (Lebanon)
3. Dr. Irina Subotić, Art historian, (Serbia)
4. Movses Der Kevorkian, Architect (Belgium)
5. Narineh Mirzaeian, Architect, Founder & Principal of MNOﬃce and Faculty at UCLA, School of Architecture and Urban Design (USA)
6. Sevada Petrossian, Architect (Armenia)
7. Dr. Taline Ter Minassian, Historian, Professor at the National Institute of Oriental Languages and Civilizations (France)
Download the competition guideline here.
To find more information about the competition, please visit the website.
The open online discussion platform is already available through the following link: chat.alt33.info
Top image courtesy of Alt 33
> via Alt 33